Privacy Evaluation for Canva - Graphic Design & Video
Canva: Graphic Design & Video is an online design platform and media licensing service that allows users to share designs and artwork. The terms of Canva state they allow for interactions between users in the form of comments and responses on publicly shared designs. Canva's terms state that they do not sell personal information to third parties and they do not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, the terms say Canva may use personal information to display targeted advertisements on the service and may track users on other apps and services across the internet for advertising purposes. The terms also say Canva uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the service.
The terms of Canva state they allow for interactions between users in the form of comments and responses on publicly shared designs. The terms state the service also allows users to submit and publish content such as profile information, comments, questions, photographs, illustrations, fonts, designs, and other content or information. The terms say any information or user content that a user voluntarily posts to the service can become visible over the web, and is subject to visibility settings. The default visibility setting for a user's designs is private. Subject to a user's profile and privacy settings, any user content made publicly visible is searchable by other users, or over the open web.
Canva's terms say that the service collects personally identifiable information and non-personal information that includes name, email, birthdate, and geolocation information if used on a mobile device. The terms specify that Canva may aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share aggregated or anonymized data with third parties. The terms also say that Canva may share information such as a user's location, browser and cookie data with business partners to deliver advertisements.
Canva's terms say that they do not sell personal information to third parties and they do not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, Canva's terms state that third-party ad servers or ad networks may serve advertisements on the service and these third-party ad networks use technology to send the ads and ad links that appear on the service. The terms also state that if a user logs in via another service like Facebook, Canva can access a person's user ID from that service, and other personal information from that service. The specific information shared with Canva via social login depends on the settings of the other service.
Canva's terms state the company encrypts all user data while in transit and while at rest. The terms also specify Canva uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the service. The terms state that in the event a user's information is compromised as a result of a breach of security, Canva will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation. This investigation can include notifying people whose information may have been compromised. The terms also state that Canva will follow all applicable breach notification laws, but the terms stop short of specifying a time frame within which people would be notified.
Canva's terms state that they do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. The education version for Canva's terms clearly state that a user must be 13 years old or older to use the service unless they are directly supervised by a parent, guardian or another authorized adult such as a teacher. If this application is being used within a school context, teachers should be aware of whether or not work created and stored within Canva would considered an educational record under FERPA. Before assigning work to students in Canva, teachers are strongly encouraged to review their school or district requirements for parental consent.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is not limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects interactions, behaviors, or usage analytics data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Data is automatically collected.
- Opt-in consent is not requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive data are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Third-party services are used to support the product.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Third-party login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Managed accounts are available.
- Multi-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-parties with access to information are required to provide the same security protections as the company.
- Reasonable security practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
- Unclear whether all data are stored in an encrypted format.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access or review user data are available.
- Processes to modify data are available for authorized users.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Unclear whether authorzied users can delete data.
- Unclear whether a user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Unclear whether this product deletes data when no longer necessary.
- Methods are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Personal information is not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party in the event of a merge, acquisition, or bankruptcy.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information that is shared is shared in an anonymous or de-identified format.
- Unclear whether the company describes their de-identification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying or de-identified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information must be shared for social interactions.
- Personal information can be displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed to others.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the company.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Personal information is not shared for third-party marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Personalised advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-parties for their own purposes.
- User's information is used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for personalised advertisements.
- The company can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this company provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of contextual, or personalised advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Company does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- The company does provide a section, heading, or separate policy for children in their policies.
- Parental consent is required before personal information is collected or disclosed.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Processes to enter education records into the product are described.
- Unclear whether additional rights or protections may be provided with an additional school contract.
- Unclear whether the company is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
Can I control the use of my data?
- Users can control the use of their information through privacy settings.
- Use of information is not limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The context or purpose for which data are collected is indicated.
- Unclear whether company may combine data with additional data from third-party sources.
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
- Consent is obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
- A grievance or remedy mechanism is available for users to file a complaint.
- Unclear whether users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether notice is provided in the event the company receives a government or legal request for a user's information.