Privacy Evaluation for Canva - Graphic Design & Photo Editing
Canva - Graphic Design Creator operates an online design platform and media licensing service that allows users to share designs and artwork. The terms of Canva state they allow for interactions between users in the form of comments and responses on publicly shared designs. Canva's terms state that they do not sell personal information to third parties and they do not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes. In addition, the terms specify Canva uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the service.
The terms of Canva state they allow for interactions between users in the form of comments and responses on publicly shared designs. The terms state the service also allows users to submit and publish content such as profile information, comments, questions, photographs, illustrations, fonts, designs, and other content or information. The terms specify any information or user content that a user voluntarily posts to the service can become visible over the web, and is subject to visibility settings. The default visibility setting for a user's designs is private. Subject to a user's profile and privacy settings, any user content made publicly visible is searchable by other users, or over the open web.
Canva's terms state that the service collects personally identifiable information and non-personal information that includes name, email, birthdate, and geolocation information if used on a mobile device. The terms specify that Canva may aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share aggregated or anonymized data with third parties. The terms also specify that Canva may share information such as a user's location, browser and cookie data with business partners to deliver advertisements.
Canva's terms state that they do not sell personal information to third parties and they do not share personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, Canva's terms state that third-party ad servers or ad networks may serve advertisements on the service and these third-party ad networks use technology to send the ads and ad links that appear on the Service. The terms also state that if a user logs in via another service like Facebook, Canva can access a person's user ID from that service, and other personal information from that service. The specific information shared with Canva via social login depends on the settings of the other service.
Canva's terms state the company encrypts all user data while in transit and while at rest. The terms also specify Canva uses commercially reasonable safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the service. The terms state that in the event a user's information is compromised as a result of a breach of security, Canva will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation. This investigation can include notifying people whose information may have been compromised. The terms also state that Canva will follow all applicable breach notification laws, but the terms stop short of specifying a time frame within which people would be notified.
Canva's terms state that they do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children under the age of 13. There is an education version for Canva's terms clearly state that a user must be 13 years old or older to use the service unless they are directly supervised by a parent, guardian or another authorized adult such as a teacher. If this application is being used within a school context, teachers should be aware of whether or not work created and stored within Canva would considered an educational record under FERPA. Before assigning work to students in Canva, teachers are strongly encouraged to review their school or district requirements for parental consent.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Unclear whether the collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects behavioral data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Unclear whether parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data at rest.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Unclear whether the school, parents, or students can delete data.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Unclear whether this product supports interactions between trusted users and/or students.
- Unclear whether users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Unclear whether profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- Unclear whether user-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Unclear whether this product indicates COPPA parental consent exceptions.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Unclear whether this product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.