Privacy Evaluation for Kahoot!
Kahoot! is a free game-based learning platform that makes it fun to learn any subject, in any language, on any device, for all ages. Kahoot! allows sharing of a student's Kahoot! quizzes, answers, and surveys with other students and teachers in educational institutions for the educational purpose of in-class graded coursework. Kahoot! collects personally identifiable information and other automatically collected usage information through its services and may receive a user’s personal information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, and other third parties. The terms of Kahoot! state they use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect users' personal information, and if a user has reason to believe that their interaction with Kahoot! is no longer secure, they should immediately contact Kahoot!. Lastly, When a Kahoot! user who is under the age of 13 creates an account, Kahoot! collects his or her name and email address, but does not collect any other personal information.
Kahoot! allows sharing of a student's Kahoot! quizzes, answers, and surveys with other students and teachers in educational institutions for the educational purpose of in-class graded coursework. Kahoot! may provide various open communication tools on their service, such as blog comments, blog posts, public chat, forums, message boards, newsgroups, product ratings, reviews, and various social media services. Kahoot! does not pre-screen or monitor the content posted by users of these various communication tools and content may be used to identify a user with anyone they share a Kahoot! or other messages through the services.
In addition, a user's information may be visible from their profile page and other services to which they post information and materials. Kahoot! provides a warning to users that any information they post or disclose through the services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. Kahoot! recommends users be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on the services.
Kahoot! collects personally identifiable information and other automatically collected usage information through its services and may receive a user’s personal information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, and other third parties. Kahoot! does not collect any personal information from a person who merely plays a Kahoot, except if a user participates in a Kahoot! which is hosted using the Player Identifier feature. However, in order to create and host a Kahoot!, a user must register and create an account with the service. When an adult account holder registers for the service, Kahoot! asks that they not disclose any sensitive personal information.
In addition, Kahoot! may share a user’s data with third-party service providers to support its services and if a user participates, data may be shared with sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and other similar third-party marketing promotions. Kahoot! may also send marketing communications and newsletters to a user personalized from their experience on the services such as products and offers that are tailored to them. Lastly, the terms say Kahoot! will not sell a user's personal information to third parties and Kahoot! will not use personal information from users for any targeted advertising purposes, or build a profile of a student other than in support of authorized school purposes.
The terms of Kahoot! state they use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect users' personal information, and if a user has reason to believe that their interaction with Kahoot! is no longer secure, they should immediately contact Kahoot!. In addition, the terms say a user’s personal information is secure because it is encrypted while in transit and while at rest. However, Kahoot! does not disclose whether they provide notice to users in the event of a data breach.
When a Kahoot! user who is under the age of 13 creates an account, Kahoot! collects his or her name and email address, but does not collect any other Personal Information. Kahoot! immediately and permanently alters a child’s email address so that it can only be used as a password reminder and cannot be reconstructed into its original form or used to contact the child. In addition, If a parent or guardian submits any personal information of their child to Kahoot! they must represent that they have the authority to do so and to permit Kahoot! to use the information. In addition, Kahoot! and third-party service providers may perform data analytics on information from child account holders.
A parent or guardian can request Kahoot! to review, request no further collection, or delete the information Kahoot! has collected from their child. Kahoot! requires parents to include their name and child’s Kahoot username, and specify the action they would like Kahoot! to take. For a child’s protection, Kahoot! may need to verify a parent or guardian’s identity before processing a request. Lastly, the terms of Kahoot! address compliance under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and the terms say the collection and sharing of a student's Kahoot! quizzes, answers, and surveys with other students and teachers in educational institutions is only for the educational purpose of in-class graded coursework and discussions.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are not collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Sensitive data are not collected.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Unclear whether the categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Unclear whether contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Unclear whether parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are not moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- The vendor does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.