Learn French by MindSnacks allows users to learn French and play games simultaneously. With 9 games designed for essential vocab & conversation skills, MindSnacks’ French app is perfect for adults, kids, students and travelers who wants to read, write and speak one of the world’s most beautiful languages. Learn French by MindSnacks state in their terms that participating in message boards could make personal information publicly visible to others. In addition, Learn French by MindSnacks terms state they collect personal information from users when they register for the Service, such as their email address, first, and last name. The terms do not disclose additional details about data security practices, or whether personal information is encrypted while in transit or while at rest, or whether the company provides notice to users in the event of a data breach. Lastly, the terms of Learn French by MindSnacks state for applications directed to children under the age of 13, they do not require an email address. The terms also state that children under the age of 13 should not register for the company's "general audience" mobile apps.
The terms of Learn French by MindSnacks state that participating in message boards could make users' personal information publicly visible to others. The terms also specify that people can connect other social services and that usernames and passwords for connected third-party services are collected and passed by the Service. The terms also state that users are responsible for their interactions with other users, and that MindSnacks has no obligation to be involved in any disputes. In addition, the terms do not contain details about any monitoring of social interactions. In the terms, MindSnacks encourages parents and legal guardians to become involved in the online activities of their children.
The terms of Learn French by MindSnacks state they collect personal information from users when they register for the Service, such as their email address, first, and last name. In addition, the Service automatically collects usage information via cookies. The terms state they do not share or sell a user’s personal information with third parties. However, the terms also state personally identifying information can be shared with subsidiaries or affiliates. The terms also state MindSnacks may conduct research on user demographics using interests and behavior from a user's personal information and other non-identifiable information. The terms state that any research provided to third parties will be compiled and analyzed by the Service on an aggregate and de-identified basis. Lastly, the terms state that the Service does not track users across other third-party websites.
The terms of Learn French by MindSnacks state they take reasonable steps to protect a user's personal data provided through the Service from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, the terms do not disclose any additional details about data security practices, or whether personal information is encrypted while in transit or while at rest, or whether the Service provides notice to users in the event of a data breach.
The terms of Learn French by MindSnacks state for applications directed to children under the age of 13, they do not require an email address. The terms also state that children under the age of 13 should not register for the company's "general audience" mobile apps. As a practical matter, however, the effectiveness of these terms require that a parent or a child under the age of 13 would have an understanding of COPPA, read these terms of service, and understand the difference between an app directed to someone under 13, and an app directed for someone older than 13.
The terms state that if MindSnacks obtains actual knowledge that a child under 13 has stored Personal Information with the Service, the company will seek parental consent in accordance with COPPA. In addition, if a user is under 18 years old, the terms state that they may use parts of the Service, with or without registering, only with the approval of their parent or guardian. Full use of general-audience apps requires registering and creating a user account, and submitting personally identifiable information.
Lastly, MindSnacks' general audience apps would likely appeal to children under 13 and students in K-12. The definition of what constitutes "appeal" takes several factors into account, including subject matter, visual content, age of models, and the activities provided. If the Service is used in a school classroom, the terms do not sufficiently disclose information about potential compliance obligations under FERPA, with respect to the creation of student education records.
Every privacy rating includes an overall score. A higher score (up to 100%) means the product provides more transparent privacy policies with better practices to protect user data. The score is best used is as an indicator of how much additional work a person will need to do to make an informed decision about a product.
|Basic Score||Full Score|
The privacy evaluation process summarizes the policies of an application or service into concern categories based on a subset of evaluation questions that can be used to quickly identify particular practices of a vendor’s policies. These concerns are composed of evaluation questions that can be used to calculate scores relative to that concern.
|Concern||Basic Score||Full Score|
|Data Collection: Protecting personal information||83||45|
|Data Sharing: Protecting data from third parties||100||90|
|Data Security: Protecting against unauthorized access||0||15|
|Data Rights: Controlling rights to data||38||30|
|Data Sold: Preventing sale of data||75||30|
|Data Safety: Promoting responsible use||33||15|
|Ads & Tracking: Prohibiting the exploitation of users' decision making process||21||25|
|Parental Consent: Protecting children’s personal information||100||75|
|School Purpose: Following student data privacy laws||0||0|
|Individual Control: Controlling data use||NA||45|
Each statute or regulation is associated with one or more evaluation questions. As such, we can calculate scores for each statute or regulation using only those questions associated with the statute or regulation. Each specific statute or regulation's score serves as an indirect proxy indicating the likelihood of the application or service satisfying all of its compliance obligations.
|Statute||Basic Score||Full Score|
|California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA)||43||52|
|Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)||55||53|
|Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)||81||45|
|Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA)||50||41|
|General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)||53||48|
1.1: Policy Version
- Privacy policies do indicate a version or effective date.
- Privacy policies do not indicate a change log or past policy version is available.
1.2: Policy Notice
- Users are notified if there are any material changes to the policies.
- Privacy policies indicate the method used to notify a user when policies are updated.
1.3: Policy Changes
- Users are not notified prior to any material changes to the policies.
- Changes to the policies are effective immediately and continued use of the product indicates consent.
1.4: Policy Coverage
- Privacy policies indicate the products that are covered by the policies.
1.5: Privacy Contact
1.6: Policy Principles
- Privacy policies do not indicate any privacy principles, layered notices, or a table of contents.
1.7: Policy Language
- Privacy policies are not available in multiple languages.
1.8: Intended Use
- Intended for children under 13.
- Intended for teens.
- Intended for adults over 18.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
2: Focused Collection
2.1: Data Collection
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Interactions, behaviors, or usage analytics data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Data is automatically collected.
2.2: Data Source
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected.
2.3: Data Excluded
- Unclear whether specific types of personal information excluded from collection.
2.4: Data Limitation
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
3: Data Sharing
3.1: Data Shared With Third Parties
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
3.2: Data Use by Third Parties
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether personal information are shared for third-party marketing.
3.3: Data Not Shared With Third Parties
- Specific categories of information are not shared with third parties.
3.4: Data Sold to Third Parties
- Personal information is not sold or rented to third parties.
3.5: Third-Party Data Acquisition
- Unclear whether personal information about users is obtained from third parties.
3.6: Third-Party Links
- Links to third-party external websites are age-appropriate.
3.7: Third-Party Data Access
- Unclear whether third parties are authorized to access a user's information.
3.8: Third-Party Data Collection
- Unclear whether personal information of users is collected by a third party.
3.9: Third-Party Data Misuse
- Unclear whether personal information can be deleted from a third party.
3.10: Third-Party Service Providers
- Third-party services are used to support the product.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
3.11: Third-Party Affiliates
- The categories of third parties that receive data are indicated.
3.12: Third-Party Policies
- Unclear whether links to privacy policies of third-party companies are available.
3.13: Third-Party Data Combination
- Unclear whether company may combine data with additional data from third-party sources.
- Unclear whether data shared with third parties can be combined with other data.
3.14: Third-Party Authentication
- Third-party login is supported.
- Personal information from third-party login providers is collected.
- Personal Information is shared with third-party login providers.
3.15: De-identified or Anonymized Data
- User information that is shared is shared in an anonymous or de-identified format.
- Unclear whether the company describes their de-identification process of user information.
3.16: Third-Party Contractual Obligations
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying or de-identified information.
4: Respect for Context
4.1: Data Use
- Use of information is not limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The context or purpose for which data are collected is indicated.
4.2: Data Combination
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
4.3: Data Notice
- Notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
4.4: Data Changes
- Consent is obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
4.5: Policy Enforcement
- Unclear whether accounts may be terminated if users engage in any prohibited activities.
5: Individual Control
5.1: User Content
- Users can create or upload content.
5.2: User Consent
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
5.3: Remedy Process
- A grievance or remedy mechanism is available for users to file a complaint.
5.4: Data Settings
- Unclear whether users can control the use of their information through privacy settings.
5.5: Data Disclosure
- Unclear whether users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- Unclear whether users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether notice is provided in the event the company receives a government or legal request for a user's information.
5.6: Intellectual Property
- Unclear whether users retain ownership of their data.
- A copyright license is claimed to data or content collected from a user.
- Any copyright license to a user's data is limited in scope or duration.
6: Access and Accuracy
6.1: Data Access
- Unclear whether this product provides processes to access and review user data.
- Unclear whether methods are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to review student data are available for the school, parents, or students.
6.2: Data Integrity
- Unclear whether the company attempts to maintain the accuracy of data they collect.
6.3: Data Correction
- Unclear whether this product provides processes to modify data for authorized users.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to modify inaccurate student information are available.
- Unclear whether the time period for the company to modify inaccurate data is indicated.
6.4: Data Retention
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Unclear whether exceptions to the data retention policy exist.
6.5: Data Deletion
- Data are not deleted when no longer necessary.
- Unclear whether a user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Processes to delete user data are not available.
- Processes for authorized users to delete data are available.
- Unclear whether the time period for the company to delete data is indicated.
6.6: Data Portability
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
- Unclear whether a user can assign an authorized account manager or legacy contact.
7: Data Transfer
7.1: Data Handling
- User information can be transferred to a third party in the event of a merge, acquisition, or bankruptcy.
- Unclear whether notice is provided to users if the company assigns its rights or delegates its duties to another company.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
7.2: Transfer Request
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
7.3: Onward Contractual Obligations
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
8.1: User Identity
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
8.2: User Account
- Unclear whether this product requires account creation.
- Unclear whether managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether multi-factor account protection is available.
8.3: Third-Party Security
- Unclear whether third-parties with access to information are required to provide the same security protections as the company.
8.4: Data Confidentiality
- Reasonable security practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
8.5: Data Transmission
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
8.6: Data Storage
- Unclear whether all data are stored in an encrypted format.
- The company is clear what jurisdiction a user's personal information is subject to.
8.7: Data Breach
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
8.8: Data Oversight
- Unclear whether this product performs data-privacy and/or security-compliance audits.
9: Responsible Use
9.1: Social Interactions
- Unclear whether this product supports interactions between trusted users.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Unclear whether profile information must be shared for social interactions.
9.2: Data Visibility
- Personal information can be displayed publicly.
- Unclear whether this product allows users to control how their data are displayed to others.
9.3: Monitor and Review
- Unclear whether user-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the company.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are not moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
9.4: Report Content
- Unclear whether users can filter or block inappropriate content.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
9.5: Internet Safety
- The company provides links to resources that support safe and appropriate social interactions.
10.1: Vendor Communications
- A user can receive service- or administrative-related communications from the company.
10.2: Traditional Advertising
- Unclear whether this product displays traditional or contextual advertisements.
10.3: Behavioral Advertising
- Unclear whether this product displays personalised advertising.
10.4: Ad Tracking
- Unclear whether data are collected by third-parties for their own purposes.
- Users's information is not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Unclear whether this product creates and uses data profiles for personalised advertisements.
10.5: Filtered Advertising
- Unclear whether ads displayed to children are filtered for inappropriate content.
10.6: Marketing Communications
- The company can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this company provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of contextual, or personalised advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
10.8: Do Not Track
- Unclear whether this product responds to "Do Not Track" or other opt-out mechanisms.
- Unclear whether the company provides a method for users to opt-out from third-party tracking.
11.1: Children Under 13
- Company does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- The company does provide a section, heading, or separate policy for children in their policies.
- Account creation is restricted or prohibited for users under 13 years of age.
11.2: Students in K–12
- Unclear whether this product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Processes to enter education records into the product are not described.
- Unclear whether additional rights or protections may be provided with an additional school contract.
- Unclear whether the company is designated as a school official.
11.3: Parental Consent
- Parental consent is required before personal information is collected or disclosed.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
11.4: Legal Requirements
- The legal jurisdiction that applies to the laws governing the policies is indicated.
- A user is required to waive the right to a jury trial, or settle any disputes by arbitration.
- Unclear whether a user is required to waive the right to join a class action lawsuit.
- A company will disclose personal information to law enforcement.
- Unclear whether the company has signed a privacy pledge or received a privacy certification.
11.6: International Laws
- Unclear whether a user's data are subject to International data transfer or jurisdiction laws.
- Unclear whether the company has indicated it is a Data Controller or Data Processor.