Photo Stuff with Ruff will inspire your child to discover what the “stuff” in his or her world is made of. In this camera-based experience, your child will learn about science by exploring his or her surroundings and taking pictures of different materials to complete silly scenes. The terms state the service provides safe social interactions between users and allows for the collection of comments and other information that children post through interactive online features. The terms also specify they do not rent or sell information to third parties and will not use children's collected personal information for any marketing, online advertising, or third-party tracking that would directly identify a child. In addition, the terms state the service is committed to protecting parents and their children's information. The terms disclose they do not have actual knowledge that personal information from children under 13 years of age or education records from students in K-12 settings are collected by the service.
The terms state the service provides safe social interactions between users and allows for the collection of comments and other information that children post through interactive online features. If a child user chooses to create an account, they will be required to create a custom username. The terms state child usernames are moderated with the aim of preventing children from using any personal information to create an account. In addition, the terms state social interactions and user generated content is either canned or moderated to avoid collecting personal information. Lastly, the terms specify the service avoids making any personal information publicly visible to others in order to help maintain a safe environment for users.
The terms state the service does not collect information that directly identifies a child. However, the terms also describe that the service may collect information about a user's device, including hardware model, operating system version, IP address, and unique identifiers. The terms also specify they do not rent or sell information to third parties and will not use children's collected personal information for any marketing, online advertising, or third-party tracking that would directly identify a child. Lastly, the terms state the service may share a user's aggregated or de-identified information with third parties for their own product development or research purposes.
The terms state the service is committed to protecting parents and their children's information. The terms specify they have adopted reasonable technical, administrative, and physical procedures to help protect users' information from loss, misuse, and alteration, including encryption of passwords and information in transit. Additionally, the terms state a child is not required to create an account in order to use the services. However, users may want to do so in order to save their progress, settings, or content created while using the services. Lastly, the terms state the service will provide users notification in the case of a data breach.
The terms disclose they do not have actual knowledge that personal information from children under 13 years of age or education records from students in K-12 settings are collected by the service. However, parents and educators should be aware that the service would likely appeal to students and children under 13 years of age and therefore would be subject to COPPA and FERPA regulations. This determination takes several factors into account, including subject matter, visual content, age of models, and the activities provided.
The terms also state that the service will obtain a parent or legal guardian's consent before collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children. However, the terms are unclear how verified parental consent is actually requested or obtained. The terms specify that parents or legal guardians may contact the company to ask if the service has collected their child's personal information, to review that information, and request that the company stop collecting any information, or have it deleted. Additionally, the terms disclose the service is not required to provide any modification, access, correction, deletion, or portability requests to users because the service claims they have no actual knowledge children under 13 years of age or students in K-12 are using the service. If this service is used within a school context, teachers and school staff are strongly encouraged to review how their school or district defines education records, and whether the activities within the service would create educational records.
Every privacy rating includes an overall score. A higher score (up to 100%) means the product provides more transparent privacy policies with better practices to protect user data. The score is best used is as an indicator of how much additional work a person will need to do to make an informed decision about a product.
|Basic Score||Full Score|
The privacy evaluation process summarizes the policies of an application or service into concern categories based on a subset of evaluation questions that can be used to quickly identify particular practices of a vendor’s policies. These concerns are composed of evaluation questions that can be used to calculate scores relative to that concern.
|Concern||Basic Score||Full Score|
|Data Collection: Protecting personal information||75||55|
|Data Sharing: Protecting data from third parties||50||50|
|Data Security: Protecting against unauthorized access||100||70|
|Data Rights: Controlling data use||63||65|
|Data Sold: Preventing sale of data||75||40|
|Data Safety: Promoting responsible use||100||60|
|Ads & Tracking: Prohibiting the exploitation of users' decision making process||100||65|
|Parental Consent: Protecting children’s personal information||67||50|
|School Purpose: Following student data privacy laws||100||30|
Each statute or regulation is associated with one or more evaluation questions. As such, we can calculate scores for each statute or regulation using only those questions associated with the statute or regulation. Each specific statute or regulation's score serves as an indirect proxy indicating the likelihood of the application or service satisfying all of its compliance obligations.
|Statute||Basic Score||Full Score|
|California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA)||75||62|
|Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)||85||55|
|Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)||83||42|
|Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA)||88||60|
|General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)||82||50|
1.1: Policy Version
- Privacy policies do indicate a version or effective date.
- Privacy policies do not indicate a changelog or past policy version is available.
1.2: Policy Notice
- Users are notified if there are any material changes to the policies.
- Privacy policies indicate the method used to notify a user when policies are updated.
1.3: Policy Changes
- Users are notified prior to any material changes to the policies.
- Changes to the policies are effective immediately and continued use of the product indicates consent.
1.4: Policy Coverage
- Privacy policies indicate the products that are covered by the policies.
1.5: Policy Contact
1.6: Policy Principles
- Privacy policies do indicate any privacy principles, layered notices, or a table of contents.
1.7: Policy Language
- Privacy policies are not available in multiple languages.
1.8: Intended Use
- Intended for children under 13.
- Intended for teens.
- Unclear whether intended for adults over 18.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Intended for students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
2: Focused Collection
2.1: Data Collection
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Biometric or health data are not collected.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Unclear whether free or reduced lunch status is collected.
2.2: Data Source
- Personal information or education records are not collected from preK-12 students.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
2.3: Data Exclusion
- Unclear whether specific types of personal information are not collected.
2.4: Data Limitation
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
3: Data Sharing
3.1: Data Shared With Third Parties
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
3.2: Data Use by Third Parties
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
3.3: Data Not Shared With Third Parties
- Unclear whether there are specific categories of information that are not shared with third parties.
3.4: Data Sold to Third Parties
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
3.5: Third-Party Data Acquisition
- Unclear whether personal information from users is acquired from third parties.
3.6: Third-Party Links
- Unclear whether links to third-party external websites are age-appropriate.
3.7: Third-Party Data Access
- Unclear whether third parties are authorized to access a user's information.
3.8: Third-Party Data Collection
- Personal information of users is not collected by a third party.
3.9: Third-Party Data Misuse
- Unclear whether personal information can be deleted from a third party if found to be misused.
3.10: Third-Party Service Providers
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- Unclear whether the roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
3.11: Third-Party Affiliates
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
3.12: Third-Party Policies
- Links to privacy policies of third-party companies are not available.
3.13: Third-Party Data Combination
- Unclear whether data can be combined with data from third-party sources.
- Unclear whether data shared with third parties can be combined by third parties for their own purposes.
3.14: Third-Party Authentication
- Unclear whether this product supports social or federated login.
- Unclear whether personal information from social or federated login providers is collected.
- Unclear whether personal Information is shared with social or federated login providers.
3.15: De-identified or Anonymized Data
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
3.16: Third-Party Contractual Obligations
- Unclear whether contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
4: Respect for Context
4.1: Data Use
- Unclear whether use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The purpose for which data atr collected is indicated.
4.2: Data Combination
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
4.3: Data Notice
- Unclear whether notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
4.4: Data Changes
- Unclear whether consent is obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
4.5: Policy Enforcement
- Accounts may be terminated if users engage in any prohibited activities.
5: Individual Control
5.1: User Content
- Users can create or upload content.
5.2: User Consent
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
5.3: Remedy Process
- Unclear whether a grievance or remedy mechanism is available for users to file a complaint.
5.4: Data Settings
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
5.5: Data Disclosure
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- Unclear whether users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties for commercial purposes.
- Unclear whether notice is provided in the event the vendor receives a government or legal request for a user’s information.
5.6: Intellectual Property
- Unclear whether users retain ownership of their data.
- A copyright license is claimed to data or content collected from a user.
- Unclear whether any copyright license to a user's data is limited in scope or duration.
- Unclear whether notice is provided to users when their content is removed or disabled because of an alleged copyright violation.
6: Access and Accuracy
6.1: Data Access
- Processes to access and review user data are not available.
- Unclear whether permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to review data are available for the school, parents, or students.
6.2: Data Integrity
- Unclear whether the vendor maintains the accuracy of data they collect.
6.3: Data Correction
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are not available.
- Unclear whether the school, parents, or students can modify data.
- Unclear whether the time period for the vendor to modify inaccurate data is indicated.
6.4: Data Retention
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Unclear whether the retention time period of a user's data can be changed upon a valid inspection request.
6.5: Data Deletion
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Unclear whether a user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Processes to delete user data are not available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Unclear whether the time period for the vendor to delete data is indicated.
6.6: Data Portability
- Processes to download user data are not available.
- Unclear whether a user can assign an authorized account manager or legacy contact.
7: Data Transfer
7.1: Data Handling
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether notice is provided to users if the vendor assigns its rights or delegates its duties to another company.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
7.2: Transfer Request
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
7.3: Onward Contractual Obligations
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
8.1: User Identity
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
8.2: User Account
- Account creation is not required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
8.3: Third-Party Security
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
8.4: Data Confidentiality
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
8.5: Data Transmission
- All data in transit are encrypted.
8.6: Data Storage
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Personal information of users is not stored with a third party.
8.7: Data Breach
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
8.8: Data Oversight
- Unclear whether this product performs data-privacy and security-compliance audits.
9: Responsible Use
9.1: Social Interactions
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Unclear whether users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is not shared for social interactions.
9.2: Data Visibility
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Unclear whether this product allows users to control how their data are displayed.
9.3: Monitor and Review
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
9.4: Report Content
- Unclear whether users can filter or block inappropriate content.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
9.5: Internet Safety
- Unclear whether the vendor provides links to tools or processes that support safe and appropriate social interactions.
10.1: Vendor Communications
- A user can receive service- or administrative-related communications from the vendor.
10.2: Traditional Advertising
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
10.3: Behavioral Advertising
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
10.4: Ad Tracking
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
10.5: Filtered Advertising
- Unclear whether children may receive inappropriate advertisements.
10.6: Marketing Communications
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
10.8: Do Not Track
- Vendor does not respond to Do Not Track or other opt-out mechanisms.
- Unclear whether the vendor provides a method for users to opt-out from third-party tracking.
11.1: Children Under 13
- Vendor does not have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Unclear whether children's privacy is applicable.
- Unclear whether this product restricts account creation for users under 13 years of age.
- Unclear whether this product restricts in-app purchases for users under 13 years of age.
- Unclear whether the vendor participates in an FTC-approved COPPA safe harbor program.
11.2: Students in K–12
- Product is not primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Unclear whether the product creates education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
11.3: Parental Consent
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
- The vendor can use collected information to support the “internal operations” of the product.
- Unclear whether this product indicates COPPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
11.4: Legal Requirements
- The legal jurisdiction that applies to the laws governing any dispute is not indicated.
- Unclear whether a user is required to waive the right to a jury trial, or settle any disputes by arbitration.
- Unclear whether a user is required to waive the right to join a class action lawsuit.
- A vendor will disclose personal information to law enforcement.
- Unclear whether the vendor has signed a privacy pledge or received a privacy certification.
11.6: International Laws
- A user's data are subject to International data transfer or jurisdiction laws, such as the GDPR.
- Unclear whether the vendor has indicated it is a Data Controller or Data Processor.