Nitro Type is a web-based game service that provides students with the opportunity to improve their typing skills while competing in races with people from around the world. The terms of Nitro Type state that any individual can create an account with the service, and an email address is not required. However, Nitro Type displays advertisements to all users (even those under 13 years of age) and the only way to remove advertisements is to upgrade a user's account to a paid, Gold Membership account. It is not clear if the upgraded account also removes the advertisement trackers present on the website. While users are not required to enter an age or an email during signup, a full name can be added to a free account after a user has joined the site.
The terms of Nitro Type state that any individual can create an account with the service, and an email address is not required. Friend requests are allowed within the website, and the default setting (configurable via a user's profile) is to allow friend requests.
The terms state there are no interactions with adults or other students (of the same classroom or school). In addition, Nitro Type's terms state they do not routinely monitor a user's account, or disclose information about a user's communications to anyone. Lastly, the terms do not provide significant details about the tools and processes that support safe and appropriate social interactions. However, within the application a user can report other users for abusive behavior.
The terms of Nitro Type state they engage in data minimization practices but do not disclose what third-party services are used to support the operation of the website or application. However, Nitro Type's terms say they may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads and to target advertisements to the user on other websites, or on other applications or services. In addition, it is not clear whether the content of advertisements is filtered or reviewed to eliminate age inappropriate content. Also, it is not clear from the terms what information, if any, is shared with third-parties. The website also makes extensive use of third-party ad trackers.
The terms state Nitro Type supports social login, and it is not clear what data are collected from social or federated login providers (Google, Clever, and Facebook), because the providers use personal information in accordance with their own terms of service and privacy policies. In addition, Nitro Type terms state they use customer contact information from the registration form (email, zip code, age, or occupation) to send a user information about Nitro Type and, if the user chooses, promotional material from some of their partners. Lastly, the service offers an upgrade to a "Gold" account which removes the display of advertisements, but it is not clear if this upgrade also removes the numerous third party trackers used as well.
The terms of Nitro Type state it has security measures in place to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under its control. The terms specify passwords are never stored as clear text at any point, but rather are hashed thousands of times using unique randomized salts and the best available, reasonable encryption. In addition, the terms of Nitro Type state they request users to contact them in the event of a security breach, however, no other security measures are described in the policies.
The terms of Nitro Type state the service appeals to users under 13 years of age, but users are not required to enter their birth year or date in order to register or maintain an account. However, users under 13 years of age that register for the service are required to obtain parental consent. The terms say Nitro Type displays advertisements to all users (even those under 13 years of age) and the only way to remove advertisements is to upgrade a user's account to a paid, Gold Membership account. Lastly, the terms say users can access, edit, modify, and export their personal information at any time through the service.
Every privacy rating includes an overall score. A higher score (up to 100%) means the product provides more transparent privacy policies with better practices to protect user data. The score is best used is as an indicator of how much additional work a person will need to do to make an informed decision about a product.
The privacy evaluation process summarizes the policies of an application or service into concern categories based on a subset of evaluation questions that can be used to quickly identify particular practices of a vendor’s policies. These concerns are composed of evaluation questions that can be used to calculate scores relative to that concern.
|Data Collection: Protecting personal information
|Data Sharing: Protecting data from third parties
|Data Security: Protecting against unauthorized access
|Data Rights: Controlling rights to data
|Data Sold: Preventing sale of data
|Data Safety: Promoting responsible use
|Ads & Tracking: Prohibiting the exploitation of users' decision making process
|Parental Consent: Protecting children’s personal information
|School Purpose: Following student data privacy laws
|Individual Control: Controlling data use
Each statute or regulation is associated with one or more evaluation questions. As such, we can calculate scores for each statute or regulation using only those questions associated with the statute or regulation. Each specific statute or regulation's score serves as an indirect proxy indicating the likelihood of the application or service satisfying all of its compliance obligations.
|California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA)
|Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
|Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
|Student Online Personal Information Protection Act (SOPIPA)
|General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
1.1: Policy Version
- Privacy policies do not indicate a version or effective date.
- Privacy policies do not indicate a change log or past policy version is available.
1.2: Policy Notice
- Users are notified if there are any material changes to the policies.
- Privacy policies indicate the method used to notify a user when policies are updated.
1.3: Policy Changes
- Users are notified prior to any material changes to the policies.
- Changes to the policies are effective immediately and continued use of the product indicates consent.
1.4: Policy Coverage
- Privacy policies indicate the products that are covered by the policies.
1.5: Privacy Contact
1.6: Policy Principles
- Privacy policies do indicate privacy principles, layered notices, or a table of contents.
1.7: Policy Language
- Privacy policies are not available in multiple languages.
1.8: Intended Use
- Intended for children under 13.
- Unclear whether intended for teens.
- Unclear whether intended for adults over 18.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
2: Focused Collection
2.1: Data Collection
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects interactions, behaviors, or usage analytics data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Data is automatically collected.
2.2: Data Source
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected.
2.3: Data Excluded
- Unclear whether specific types of personal information excluded from collection.
2.4: Data Limitation
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
3: Data Sharing
3.1: Data Shared With Third Parties
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether the categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
3.2: Data Use by Third Parties
- Unclear whether the purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Unclear whether data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Personal information is shared for third-party marketing.
3.3: Data Not Shared With Third Parties
- Unclear whether there are specific categories of information that are not shared with third parties.
3.4: Data Sold to Third Parties
- Unclear whether personal information is sold or rented to third parties.
3.5: Third-Party Data Acquisition
- Unclear whether personal information about users is obtained from third parties.
3.6: Third-Party Links
- Unclear whether links to third-party external websites are age-appropriate.
3.7: Third-Party Data Access
- Unclear whether third parties are authorized to access a user's information.
3.8: Third-Party Data Collection
- Unclear whether personal information of users is collected by a third party.
3.9: Third-Party Data Misuse
- Unclear whether personal information can be deleted from a third party.
3.10: Third-Party Service Providers
- Unclear whether third-party services are used to support the product.
- Unclear what the roles of third-party service providers are.
3.11: Third-Party Affiliates
- Unclear whether the categories of third parties that receive data are indicated.
3.12: Third-Party Policies
- Unclear whether links to privacy policies of third-party companies are available.
3.13: Third-Party Data Combination
- Unclear whether company may combine data with additional data from third-party sources.
- Unclear whether data shared with third parties can be combined with other data.
3.14: Third-Party Authentication
- Unclear whether this product supports third-party login.
- Unclear whether personal information from third-party login providers is collected.
- Unclear whether personal Information is shared with third-party login providers.
3.15: De-identified or Anonymized Data
- Unclear whether user information that is shared is shared in an anonymous or de-identified format.
- Unclear whether the company describes their de-identification process of user information.
3.16: Third-Party Contractual Obligations
- Unclear whether contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying or de-identified information.
4: Respect for Context
4.1: Data Use
- Unclear whether use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The context or purpose for which data are collected is indicated.
4.2: Data Combination
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
4.3: Data Notice
- Unclear whether notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
4.4: Data Changes
- Unclear whether consent is obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
4.5: Policy Enforcement
- Accounts may be terminated if users engage in any prohibited activities.
5: Individual Control
5.1: User Content
- Users can create or upload content.
5.2: User Consent
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
5.3: Remedy Process
- A grievance or remedy mechanism is available for users to file a complaint.
5.4: Data Settings
- Users can control the use of their information through privacy settings.
5.5: Data Disclosure
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- Unclear whether users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether notice is provided in the event the company receives a government or legal request for a user's information.
5.6: Intellectual Property
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- A copyright license is claimed to data or content collected from a user.
- Unclear whether any copyright license to a user's data is limited in scope or duration.
6: Access and Accuracy
6.1: Data Access
- Processes to access or review user data are available.
- Methods are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to review student data are available for the school, parents, or students.
6.2: Data Integrity
- Unclear whether the company attempts to maintain the accuracy of data they collect.
6.3: Data Correction
- Processes to modify data are available for authorized users.
- Unclear whether the school, parents, or students can modify inaccurate student information.
- Unclear whether the time period for the company to modify inaccurate data is indicated.
6.4: Data Retention
- Unclear whether the product provides a data-retention policy.
- Unclear whether exceptions to the data retention policy exist.
6.5: Data Deletion
- Unclear whether this product deletes data when no longer necessary.
- Unclear whether a user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Unclear whether authorzied users can delete data.
- Unclear whether the time period for the company to delete data is indicated.
6.6: Data Portability
- Processes to download user data are available.
- Unclear whether a user can assign an authorized account manager or legacy contact.
7: Data Transfer
7.1: Data Handling
- Unclear whether user information can be transferred to a third party in the event of a merge, acquisition, or bankruptcy.
- Notice is provided to users if the company assigns its rights or delegates its duties to another company.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
7.2: Transfer Request
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
7.3: Onward Contractual Obligations
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
8.1: User Identity
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
8.2: User Account
- Account creation is required.
- Unclear whether managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether multi-factor account protection is available.
8.3: Third-Party Security
- Unclear whether third-parties with access to information are required to provide the same security protections as the company.
8.4: Data Confidentiality
- Reasonable security practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
8.5: Data Transmission
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
8.6: Data Storage
- All data are stored in an encrypted format.
- Unclear what jurisdiction a user's personal information is subject to.
8.7: Data Breach
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
8.8: Data Oversight
- Unclear whether this product performs data-privacy and/or security-compliance audits.
9: Responsible Use
9.1: Social Interactions
- Unclear whether this product supports interactions between trusted users.
- Users cannot interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Unclear whether profile information must be shared for social interactions.
9.2: Data Visibility
- Personal information can be not displayed publicly.
- Unclear whether this product allows users to control how their data are displayed to others.
9.3: Monitor and Review
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the company.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
9.4: Report Content
- Unclear whether users can filter or block inappropriate content.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
9.5: Internet Safety
- Unclear whether the company provides links to resources that support safe and appropriate social interactions.
10.1: Vendor Communications
- A user can receive service- or administrative-related communications from the company.
10.2: Traditional Advertising
- Unclear whether this product displays traditional or contextual advertisements.
10.3: Behavioral Advertising
- Personalised advertising is displayed.
10.4: Ad Tracking
- Data are collected by third-parties for their own purposes.
- User's information is used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for personalised advertisements.
10.5: Filtered Advertising
- Unclear whether ads displayed to children are filtered for inappropriate content.
10.6: Marketing Communications
- Unclear whether this company can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this company provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of contextual, or personalised advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
10.8: Do Not Track
- Unclear whether this product responds to "Do Not Track" or other opt-out mechanisms.
- The company does provide a method for users to opt-out from third-party tracking.
11.1: Children Under 13
- Company does not have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- The company does provide a section, heading, or separate policy for children in their policies.
- Unclear whether this product restricts or prohibits account creation for users under 13 years of age.
11.2: Students in K–12
- Unclear whether this product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Processes to enter education records into the product are described.
- Unclear whether additional rights or protections may be provided with an additional school contract.
- Unclear whether the company is designated as a school official.
11.3: Parental Consent
- Parental consent is required before personal information is collected or disclosed.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
11.4: Legal Requirements
- The legal jurisdiction that applies to the laws governing the policies is indicated.
- Unclear whether a user is required to waive the right to a jury trial, or settle any disputes by arbitration.
- Unclear whether a user is required to waive the right to join a class action lawsuit.
- A company will disclose personal information to law enforcement.
- Unclear whether the company has signed a privacy pledge or received a privacy certification.
11.6: International Laws
- A user's data are subject to International data transfer or jurisdiction laws.
- The company has indicated it is a Data Controller or Data Processor.