Privacy Evaluation for Amazon FreeTime
However, Amazon's terms say they will not serve interest-based ads to children when they are using an Amazon child profile. Amazon's policy also says that they offer some services intended for children, and in some cases they may know a child is using the services (for example, when using a child profile). In these situations, the policy notes that Amazon may collect personal information from children that requires verifiable parental consent under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
Additionally, other policies used for this evaluation include:
- Protecting Your Privacy
- About Amazon FreeTime Privacy
- Children's Privacy Disclosure
- Interest-Based Ads
- Amazon FreeTime Unlimited Terms & Conditions
- Alexa Communication Usage Guidelines
- California Consumer Privacy Act Disclosures
Amazon's policy explains that it will gather personal information, and the information it learns from customers helps them personalize and continually improve the user's Amazon experience. With regard to third parties, Amazon's policy states that they do not have access to, or control over, cookies or other features that advertisers and third party sites may use, and the information practices of these advertisers and third party websites are not covered by their Privacy Notice or this Interest-Based Ads page. Amazon's terms state they will not serve interest-based ads to children when they are using an Amazon child profile, which includes prohibitions on tracking.
However, Amazon's policy explains that it intends transparency in that a user can tell when a third party is involved, and it intends to minimize sharing in that it shares customer information related to those transactions with that third party. Also, Amazon's policy states that it does not provide any personal information to advertisers or to third party sites that display interest-based ads. Third party providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Advertising preferences and customer communication preferences are available to adjust settings for personal information.
Amazon's policy states they maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of personal customer information. In addition, the terms say Amazon works to protect the security of users' personal information during transmission over the internet by using encryption protocols and software. However, the terms do not say whether Amazon provides notice to users in the event of a data breach.
Amazon's policy notes that they offer some services intended for children, and in some cases they may know a child is using the services (for example, when using a child profile). In these situations, the policy notes that children may share and Amazon may collect personal information that requires verifiable parental consent under the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. However, Amazon's policy states that it does not sell products for purchase by children, they only sell children's products for purchase by adults. If a user is under 18, the policy insists that user may use Amazon products only with the involvement of a parent or guardian. In addition, by default, approval will be required for each purchase from Amazon through a kid skill before the purchase will be completed. Parents can allow purchases in kid skills without additional approval by changing this default setting in their FreeTime app.
Further, Amazon's policy reserves the right (but not the obligation) to remove or edit content, but also notes that it does not regularly review posted content. The policy indicates that parental controls are available, and parents can add or update certain information. However, Amazon notes that when a user updates information, it usually keeps a copy of the prior version for its records. Finally, the policy details that the company will use child personal information to provide and improve products and services, including personalizing offerings and recommendations for children, communicating information, enforcing parental controls, and giving parents visibility into how their children use products and services.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Biometric or health data are collected.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Sensitive data are collected.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Unclear whether use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Unclear whether this product supports social or federated login.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data at rest.
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- Unclear whether user information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Unclear whether this product supports interactions between trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Unclear whether this product indicates COPPA parental consent exceptions.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
- Unclear whether this product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Unclear whether the product creates education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.