Privacy Evaluation for DreamBox Learning Math
DreamBox Learning Math is a K-8 digital math program that provides for both classroom and home use. DreamBox’s terms provide that any personal information about children under 13 is provided from either a parent or school official. Further, DreamBox’s terms state that if you sign up directly as a parent or legal guardian of a student, you will be asked, at the time of registration, whether you consent to allow users under the age of 13 to use your subscription. Additionally, DreamBox’s terms clearly indicate that DreamBox will not use personal data for third-party marketing. Also, DreamBox’s terms provide that DreamBox will not sell personal data or share personal data with any company not directly involved in providing the service. Lastly, DreamBox's terms indicate that information accessed through or exchanged with DreamBox’s site is encrypted in transit and stored in an encrypted format.
DreamBox Learning terms provide that the services may allow you and other third parties to post messages, advice, statements, reviews, comments, and other materials which may be publicly or privately posted. Also, the terms state that content will not be pre-screened or reviewed, but DreamBox reserves the right to refuse or delete any content. DreamBox terms state that all student data is stored in ways that are not publicly accessible. Further, the terms state that DreamBox Learning does not share information with third parties that could be used to identify students without consent from the student’s parent, guardian, or school.
DreamBox terms provide that personal information is collected such as name, email, and phone number. Moreover, DreamBox’s terms provide that any personal information about children under 13 is provided from either a parent or school official. The terms state that the information DreamBox request from you and your student is required for you and your student to participate in the programs. Also, the terms provide that DreamBox does not use individual or identifiable student personal for marketing. Additionally, DreamBox’s terms clearly indicate that DreamBox will not use personal data for third-party marketing. However, the terms provide that anonymized and aggregated information may be used for advertising. Also, DreamBox’s terms provide that DreamBox will not sell personal data or share personal data with any company not directly involved in providing the service.
DreamBox terms state that before you can use certain parts of the software or services, you may be required to register an account. DreamBox's terms indicate that information accessed through or exchanged with DreamBox’s site is encrypted in transit and stored in an encrypted format. Also, the terms state that DreamBox is compliant with existing regulations around data breaches and notification to cover cases where encryption keys have been or are believed to have been compromised or exposed.
DreamBox’s terms state that if you sign up directly as a parent or legal guardian of a student, you will be asked, at the time of registration, whether you consent to allow users under the age of 13 to use your subscription. Moreover, the terms provide that DreamBox does not share children's personally identifiable information with third parties. Also, the terms state that DreamBox does not use personally identifiable information provided by a School Customer about student users for any purpose other than to provide services to the school customer and the student user. Lastly, the terms state that you may review and modify your registration information or request to delete your account.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are not collected.
- Biometric or health data are not collected.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Unclear whether this product collects non-personally identifiable information.
- Unclear whether opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is not collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are not shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Unclear whether this product supports social or federated login.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Unclear whether permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to download user data are not available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Unclear whether users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Unclear whether profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Unclear whether this product allows users to control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- Unclear whether this vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is not collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.