Privacy Evaluation for Example of Better Practices with Warning Rating
This is an example of a full privacy evaluation that transparently answers all of our full evaluation questions with better responses, except all the rating criteria questions have transparently worse answers which results in a Warning rating.
Products that receive a high overall score are not necessarily problem-free, because they can receive either a "pass" or "warning" rating depending on how they answer the most important rating criteria questions. Similarly, products with a low overall score are not necessarily unsafe, because they can receive either a "pass" or "warning" rating.
Each privacy evaluation contains concern categories (below) that are organized by the most important and easy-to-understand privacy practices to quickly evaluate how an application or service compares to similar products. Each privacy evaluation concern consists of ten evaluation questions to provide a comprehensive analysis of the most important strengths and weaknesses of a product. A green check mark indicates a product's policies disclose that they engage in a better privacy practice, and an yellow alert icon indicates that the particular practice is risky or unclear and that users should investigate further prior to use.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are not collected.
- Biometric or health data are not collected.
- Behavioral data are not collected.
- Sensitive data are not collected.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Combined information is treated as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are not shared for analytics.
- Data are not shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is not supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is not verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Two-factor account protection is available.
- Third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users cannot create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information cannot be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is not shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- The vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are not shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users cannot interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is not shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are moderated.
- Social interactions of users are logged.
- Users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor cannot send marketing messages.
- The vendor does not provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- COPPA parental consent exceptions are indicated.
- Parental consent is required.
- Parental consent is limited with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are not transferred to the school or district.
- FERPA parental consent exceptions are indicated.
- Directory information is not disclosed.