Privacy Evaluation for Wikipedia.org
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates collaborative, free knowledge websites, like Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, and Wiktionary. Wikipedia.org states their mission is to empower and engage people around the world to collect and develop educational content. The terms of Wikipedia state the service was primarily created to help users share their knowledge with the world, and Wikipedia shares a user's contributions because they have provided consent to do so. In addition, the terms state Wikipedia does not share personal information with analytics services, advertising networks, or social platforms, and they do not share users' information with any third parties for marketing purposes. The terms of Wikipedia state they strive to protect users' information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. Lastly, the terms of Wikipedia do not specifically state the service is intended for children under 13 or students, but it is commonly used by children and students everyday around the world as a trusted resource for knowledge and education.
The terms of Wikipedia state the service was primarily created to help users share their knowledge with the world, and Wikipedia shares a user's contributions because they have provided consent to do so. The terms state Wikipedia does not take an editorial role, because the service is collaboratively edited. This means that Wikipedia does not monitor or edit the content of the websites, and they do not take any responsibility for user content. In addition, the terms specify that usernames will be publicly visible, so users should be careful about using their real name as their username.
Notice will be provided if information is intended to be public or private, so that a user can make an informed decision about whether they want to provide the service with that information. Users should be aware that any content they add or any changes they make to a website will be publicly and permanently available and can be seen and used by everyone, which is the purpose of the service. The terms of Wikipedia also state they provide tools that allow users to communicate with each other. Direct communications between users (such as messages sent through the "Email this user" feature) are kept confidential by the service to the extent the communications are non-public.
The terms of Wikipedia state they believe users shouldn't have to provide personal information to participate in the free knowledge movement. Users do not have to provide information such as their real name, address, or date of birth to contribute. However, if a user contributes without signing in, their contribution will be publicly attributed to the IP address associated with their device.
In addition, the terms state Wikipedia does not share personal information with analytics services, advertising networks, or social platforms, and they do not share users' information with any third parties for marketing purposes. The terms also specify Wikipedia does not rent or sell users' information to third parties and they do not allow tracking by third-party websites users have not visited.
The terms state Wikipedia may share non-personal or aggregated information with researchers, scholars, academics, and other interested third parties who wish to study the Wikimedia sites. When the service gives access to personal information to third-party developers or researchers, they put requirements, such as reasonable technical and contractual protections in place to help ensure that third-party service providers treat users' information consistently with the principles of the service and in accordance with Wikipedia's instructions.
The terms of Wikipedia state they strive to protect users' information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. The terms specify they use a variety of physical and technical measures, policies, and procedures (such as access control procedures, network firewalls, and physical security) designed to protect their systems and users' personal information. Unfortunately, the terms do not state whether they encrypt information in transit or while at rest, and whether or not they provide notice to users in the event of a data breach.
The terms of Wikipedia do not specifically state the service is intended for children under 13 or students, but it is commonly used by children and students everyday around the world as a trusted resource for knowledge and education. Users are welcomed to join and contribute as a contributor, editor, or author, but users should follow the policies that govern each of the independent project editions of the service. Parents and teachers should be aware that the terms provide no information about obtaining verifiable parental consent for the collection or disclosure of personal information from children or students under the age of 13.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects interactions, behaviors, or usage analytics data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Data is automatically collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive data are indicated.
- Data are not shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Third-party services are used to support the product.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Unclear whether this product supports third-party login.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is not verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is not required.
- Unclear whether managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether multi-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-parties with access to information are required to provide the same security protections as the company.
- Reasonable security practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
- Unclear whether all data are stored in an encrypted format.
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access or review user data are available.
- Processes to modify data are available for authorized users.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for authorized users to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Methods are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Personal information is not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party in the event of a merge, acquisition, or bankruptcy.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information that is shared is shared in an anonymous or de-identified format.
- The company describes their de-identification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying or de-identified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information must be shared for social interactions.
- Personal information can be displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed to others.
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the company.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are moderated.
- Social interactions of users are logged.
- Users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Personal information is not shared for third-party marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Personalised advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-parties for their own purposes.
- Users's information is not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for personalised advertisements.
- Unclear whether this company can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this company provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of contextual, or personalised advertising.
- Unclear whether users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Unclear whether intended for children under 13.
- Unclear whether this product collects personal information from children under 13 years of age.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Unclear whether company has actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- The company does not provide a section, heading, or separate policy for children in their policies.
- Unclear whether parental consent is required before personal information is collected or disclosed.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
- Unclear whether this product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Processes to enter education records into the product are not described.
- Unclear whether additional rights or protections may be provided with an additional school contract.
- Unclear whether the company is designated as a school official.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
Can I control the use of my data?
- Users can control the use of their information through privacy settings.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The context or purpose for which data are collected is indicated.
- Unclear whether company may combine data with additional data from third-party sources.
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
- Consent is obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
- A grievance or remedy mechanism is available for users to file a complaint.
- Unclear whether users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties.
- Notice is provided in the event the company receives a government or legal request for a user's information.