Privacy Evaluation for Animoto
Animoto provides the ability to have a video automatically created by using uploaded photographs, graphics, or video clips set to a selected or uploaded music track. The terms of Animoto state they provide publicly accessible blogs and community forums where users should be aware that any information they provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used publicly by others who access them. The terms of Animoto state they may collect personal information such as first and last name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, photograph, video or audio recording, or information about a user that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. However, the terms do state that Animoto may display interest-based advertisements to a user on the service unless they provide opt-out consent, in which case generic or traditional advertisements are still displayed. Animoto's terms state they will keep a user's personal information secure by using current industry standards. Animoto's terms also state the service is only intended for users over the age of 13. However, the education terms state that educators may allow children under 13 to use student accounts that the educator must set-up under their Animoto for Education account.
The terms of Animoto state they provide publicly accessible blogs and community forums where users should be aware that any information they provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used publicly by others who access them. The terms also provide a list of inappropriate content and behaviors that are not permitted on its website. However, Animoto's terms state they do not monitor or pre-screen submissions, but they retain the right to remove content and to terminate accounts for any reason. The terms state that teachers are required -- when supervising students -- to ensure the students will not publicly display, distribute, or otherwise share videos through social networking or other public web pages. The terms state users may notify Animoto of content that might not comply with the Terms of Service by filling out a feedback form.
The terms of Animoto state they may collect personal information such as first and last name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, photograph, video or audio recording, or information about a user that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. In addition, the terms state that Animoto will not sell, trade, or rent personally identifiable information to third parties. However, the terms do state that Animoto may display interest-based advertisements to a user on the service unless they provide opt-out consent, in which case generic or traditional advertisements are still displayed. Animoto's terms also state they may partner with a third-party service provider to gather information about a user's activities on the service and other websites, in order to present interest-based advertising to a user. The terms provide a comprehensive list of third parties used to support the service, and Animoto places contractual restrictions on third parties who collect users' data. In addition, Animoto's terms state they support social login and can gather information about a user from social login third-party service providers. Lastly, users will be notified via email if the policies undergo any material changes.
Animoto's terms state they will keep a user's personal information secure by using current industry standards. In addition, Animoto's terms state they store data on Amazon servers and restrict access to personal information to only selected Animoto staff and contractors. However, the terms do not clearly indicate if the information collected is encrypted while in transit or while at rest. The terms state that prior to engaging any third-party service provider, Animoto will evaluate their privacy, security, and confidentiality practices. Lastly, the terms state that videos and other user-generated content on the service are obscured via complex URLs.
Animoto's policies state the service is only intended for users over the age of 13. However, the education terms state that educators may allow children under 13 to use student accounts that the educator must set up under their Animoto for Education account. Students under 13 years of age using an Education account may create videos on the service only if created for a classroom setting under the educator's direct supervision at all times. In addition, the terms state an educator is required not to permit children to provide any personal information to the service. Animoto terms also provide that require schools are responsible for obtaining parental consent assuring that use of Animoto by students are in full compliance with all applicable privacy and educational laws, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA").
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects interactions, behaviors, or usage analytics data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Data is automatically collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Unclear whether personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive data are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Third-party services are used to support the product.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Third-party login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether multi-factor account protection is available.
- Third-parties with access to information are required to provide the same security protections as the company.
- Reasonable security practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
- Unclear whether all data are stored in an encrypted format.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access or review user data are available.
- Processes to modify data are available for authorized users.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for authorized users to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Unclear whether this product deletes data when no longer necessary.
- Methods are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Personal information is not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party in the event of a merge, acquisition, or bankruptcy.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- Unclear whether user information that is shared is shared in an anonymous or de-identified format.
- Unclear whether the company describes their de-identification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying or de-identified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information must be not shared for social interactions.
- Personal information can be displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed to others.
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the company.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Unclear whether personal information are shared for third-party marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Personalised advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-parties for their own purposes.
- User's information is used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for personalised advertisements.
- The company can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this company provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of contextual, or personalised advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Company does not have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- The company does provide a section, heading, or separate policy for children in their policies.
- Parental consent is required before personal information is collected or disclosed.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Processes to enter education records into the product are described.
- Unclear whether additional rights or protections may be provided with an additional school contract.
- Unclear whether the company is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
Can I control the use of my data?
- Users can control the use of their information through privacy settings.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The context or purpose for which data are collected is indicated.
- Company may combine data with additional data from third-party sources.
- Combined information is treated as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
- Unclear whether consent is obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
- A grievance or remedy mechanism is available for users to file a complaint.
- Users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether notice is provided in the event the company receives a government or legal request for a user's information.