Privacy Evaluation for Animoto
Animoto provides the ability to have a video automatically created by using uploaded photographs, graphics, or video clips set to a selected or uploaded music track. The terms of Animoto state they provide publicly accessible blogs and community forums where users should be aware that any information they provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used publicly by others who access them. The terms of Animoto state they may collect personal information such as first and last name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, photograph, video or audio recording, or information about a user that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. Animoto's terms state they will keep a user's personal information secure by using current industry standards. Animoto's policies state the service is only intended for users over the age of 13. However, the education terms state that educators may allow children under 13 to use student accounts that the educator must set-up under their Animoto for Education account.
The terms of Animoto state they provide publicly accessible blogs and community forums where users should be aware that any information they provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used publicly by others who access them. The terms also provide a list of inappropriate content and behaviors that are not permitted on its website. However, Animoto's terms state they do not monitor or pre-screen submissions, but they retain the right to remove content and to terminate accounts for any reason. The terms state that teachers are required -- when supervising students -- to ensure the students will not publicly display, distribute, or otherwise share videos through social networking or other public web pages. The terms state users may notify Animoto of content that might not comply with the Terms of Service by filling out a feedback form.
The terms of Animoto state they may collect personal information such as first and last name, address, telephone number, mobile number, e-mail address, photograph, video or audio recording, or information about a user that is directly linked to personally identifiable information. In addition, the terms state that Animoto will not sell, trade, or rent personally identifiable information to third parties. However, the terms do state that Animoto may display interest-based advertisements to a user on the service unless they provide opt-out consent, in which case generic or traditional advertisements are still displayed. Animoto's terms also state they partner with a third party-service provider to gather information about a user's activities on the service, and other websites, in order to present interest-based advertising to a user. The terms provide a comprehensive list of third parties used to support the service, and Animoto places contractual restrictions on third parties who collect users' data. In addition, Animoto's terms state they support social login, and can gather information about a user from social login third-party service providers. Lastly, users will be notified via email if the policies undergo any material changes.
Animoto's terms state they will keep a user's personal information secure by using current industry standards. In addition, Animoto's terms state they store data on Amazon servers, and restrict access to personal information to only selected Animoto staff and contractors. However, the terms do not describe if information collected is encrypted while in transit or while at rest. The terms state that prior to engaging any third-party service provider, Animoto will evaluate their privacy, security, and confidentiality practices. Lastly, the terms state that videos and other user generated content on the service are obscured via complex URLs.
Animoto's policies state the service is only intended for users over the age of 13. However, the education terms state that educators may allow children under 13 to use student accounts that the educator must set-up under their Animoto for Education account. Students under 13 years of age using an Education account may create videos on the service only if created for a classroom setting under the educator's direct supervision at all times. In addition, the terms state an educator is required not to permit children to provide any personal information to the service. Animoto also provides educat terms that require schools to be responsible for obtaining parental consent assuring that use of Animoto by students are in full compliance with all applicable privacy and educational laws, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA").
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects behavioral data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Combined information is treated as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data at rest.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- Unclear whether user information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is not shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Unclear whether data are shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does not have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Unclear whether this product indicates COPPA parental consent exceptions.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.