Privacy Evaluation for ClassDojo
ClassDojo is a communication app for the classroom. It connects teachers, parents, and students who use it to share photos, videos, and messages through the school day. Class Dojo's policy states that it does not allow minors to post content to share publicly, and that no student’s account, profile, or Student Story is made available or visible to the public through ClassDojo. ClassDojo's policy states that personal information collected from students is never used for behavior targeted advertising to students by ClassDojo or by any third-party. The policy also explains that if a user has registered for an account on ClassDojo, the user may update, correct, or delete some of the user profile information or preferences at any time by logging into the user's account on ClassDojo and accessing the account settings page. In its policy, ClassDojo indicates that it holds the iKeepSafe FERPA Certification signifying its Website, Platform, and Apps have been reviewed and approved for having policies and practices that are compliant with the federal mandates for FERPA.
ClassDojo focuses on safety concerns from a student perspective by stating that currently, they do not allow minors to post content to share publicly, and that no student’s account, profile, or Student Story is made available or visible to the public through ClassDojo. The policy indicates that teachers can choose to never project or display their own teacher account in class, and therefore keep student feedback points and Student Stories private for each student, their teacher(s), and their parents. However, as a teacher, school leader, or parent, the user's name and profile photo may be displayed to the person with whom the user is messaging. The policy explains that the Class Story and School Story are visible by students, teachers, parents and school leaders who have logged into their accounts and are associated with that particular class or school, but that they are not viewable by the general public. Also, for user-created content, ClassDojo's policy states that parents, teachers and school leaders can add content or comments to these stories, but students can only view or like content on these stories and are only able to do this once either the school or ClassDojo has obtained parental consent, if under 13.
ClassDojo has created a chart describing the categories of information they collect from each user type, including students, parents, and teachers. Data collected includes personal information, location information, and behavior data, but not health data. ClassDojo's policy says it will only share personal information with a limited set of third party service providers necessary to provide or develop services. ClassDojo's policy states that personal information collected from students is never used for behavior targeted advertising to students by ClassDojo or by any third party. The policy also states that children’s personal information is never sold or rented to anyone, including marketers and advertisers. The policy explains that if they do combine any automatically collected information with personal information, they will treat the combined information as personal information.
Class Dojo's policy states that it uses security industry best practices to protect personal information, including using encryption and other security safeguards to protect personal information. The policy also explains that if a user has registered for an account on ClassDojo, the user may update, correct, or delete some of the user profile information or preferences at any time by logging into the user's account on ClassDojo and accessing the account settings page. Encryption is described in the policy as that ClassDojo ensures information and passwords are stored and transmitted securely using encryption and salted hashing. Class Dojo explains that the service is hosted on servers at a third-party facility. If ClassDojo learns of a security breach, the policy notes that they will attempt to notify the user electronically (subject to any applicable laws) so that the user can take appropriate protective steps.
ClassDojo's intended users include children, students, and teachers. Their policy indicates that only the student, the student’s parents, and the student’s teachers or school leaders can see the student’s profile and Student Story. The policy explains that they do not allow minors to post content to share publicly, but they do still allow minors (or the minor’s parents if under 13) the option to delete personal information associated with their user accounts or content that they upload through their student account which is not shared publicly and only the student’s parents, teachers, or school leaders can view.
For COPPA account set-up, parents access and set up an account on ClassDojo using a unique parent code provided by their child’s teacher, or through an email/SMS invitation directly from the teacher containing the unique parent code. Parents can only view their own children’s feedback points and Student Story, not those of any other students. The policy notes that if ClassDojo discovers that they have collected information from a child in a manner inconsistent with COPPA, they will take appropriate steps to either delete the information, or immediately seek the parent's consent for that collection. In its policy, ClassDojo indicates that it holds the iKeepSafe FERPA Certification signifying its Website, Platform, and Apps have been reviewed and approved for having policies and practices that are compliant with the federal mandates for FERPA.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are not collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether the categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are not shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Two-factor account protection is available.
- Third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- The vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are not shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- Unclear whether user-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- The vendor does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is not designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.