Privacy Evaluation for Desmos
Desmos provides a free graphing calculator for students and an Activity Builder for teachers to help students grasp math concepts from geometry, algebra, and calculus. Desmos includes a free version that can be used without creating an account - this evaluation focuses on the versions of the tool that require account creation. Individuals can create accounts on their own, or join a class that has a specific access code (a pin number). Desmos' terms state they employ physical, administrative, and technological safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the service. Lastly, Desmos' terms state they do not knowingly collect or maintain Personal Data from users under 13 years of age, unless either the associated teacher, school, or Desmos itself has received verifiable parental consent.
The terms of Desmos state they allow both students and teachers to create individual accounts, although no account is needed to use the graphing calculator. In addition, students can access teacher classroom activities with a PIN provided by the teacher. The terms state that for schools utilizing the school collaboration functionality, a school user may be able to share information with other authorized school users and/or invite other authorized school users to access, review, and edit school material. Interactions in the site are generally centered around math-related activities.
The terms of Desmos state they support social login via Google and collect only the minimal amount of personal information required to use the Service. The service may collect or have access to Student Data that is provided by the School or by the student. The type of information the service may collect will depend on how the school uses the service. Information collected may include a student’s first and last name, email address, class assignment data, and other classroom content.
Desmos' terms state they may use data which has been de-identified and/or aggregated for product development, research analytics, or marketing the service. In addition, Desmos may provide personalized content and information to teachers, school administration officials, and other users associated with schools.
Desmos' terms state they will never use student data to engage in targeted advertising, or direct advertising to student users. The terms also state that Desmos will not permit third party advertising networks or other third parties to collect information about users' browsing behavior from their service for advertising purposes.
Desmos' terms state they employ physical, administrative, and technological safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the service. Access to user information is limited through user/password credentials and, in some cases, two factor authentication to only those employees who require it to perform their job functions.
Desmos' terms state they employ other security safeguards such as SSL (secure socket layer technology) encryption to transfer personal information, data encryption, firewalls, physical access controls to buildings and files, and employee training. Lastly, Desmos has implemented administrative, physical and technical safeguards designed to secure personal Information, including student data, from unauthorized access, disclosure and use. In the event Desmos has a reasonable, good faith belief that an unauthorized party has gained access or disclosed student data, they will promptly notify the School.
Desmos' terms state they do not knowingly collect or maintain Personal Data from users under 13 years of age, unless either the associated teacher, school, or Desmos itself has received verifiable parental consent. In addition, the terms state that educators using the website with students are responsible for obtaining any required parental consent needed to collect personal information.
Desmos' terms state they may collect student data, and that some of the student data may include “educational records” as defined under FERPA. Students, teachers, or the school may access, update, or correct student data by logging into their account. Lastly, Desmos' terms state they require teachers and schools to uphold their obligations under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”), the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment ("PPRA"), and the Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act (“COPPA”), and all applicable State laws relating to student data privacy.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects behavioral data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Combined information is treated as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is not required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Processes to delete user data are not available.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Unclear whether users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- The vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- COPPA parental consent exceptions are not indicated.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.