Privacy Evaluation for EasyBib
EasyBib is an intuitive information literacy platform that provides citation, note taking, and research tools that are easy-to-use and educational. EasyBib's terms state they allow users to communicate and collaborate with each other, including some services that allow users to engage in one-on-one communication using a video chat or text chat feature. EasyBib's terms state the service may sell user's data to third parties and they work with network advertisers and analytics service providers who may use their own tracking services to serve first and third-party behavioral advertisements to users on the services and elsewhere across the internet. In addition, EasyBib's policies do not disclose any reasonable security standards used to protect the confidentiality of a user's personal information. Lastly, EasyBib's terms state that the service is for a general-audience and is not intended for children younger than 13 years of age.
The terms of EasyBib state they allow users to communicate and collaborate with each other, including some services that allow users to engage in one-on-one communication using a video chat or text chat feature. In addition, the terms state the services provide users the opportunity to participate and post content publicly in forums, and users may choose to submit or post content, such as reviews, problems, suggestions, ideas, solutions, questions, answers, class notes, course outlines, comments, testimonials, feedback, messages, images, videos, text or other material. The terms state that some of the information in a user’s profile, including their name and profile photo, may be visible to third parties or to everyone, depending on the user’s privacy settings.
EasyBib's terms state they collect personal information and non-personal usage information automatically from users' use of its services. The terms state the Service may share users' non-personal Information, such as aggregate user statistics, de-identified information, demographic information, and usage information with third parties, including advertisers, content providers, and analytics providers. The terms state the service may sell user's data to third parties and they work with network advertisers and analytics service providers who may use their own tracking services to serve first and third-party behavioral advertisements to users on the services and elsewhere across the internet.
In addition, the terms state the service may display social advertisements, whereby a user's name, profile, and photo may be used to advertise products and services to a user's network of contacts based on their use of the services. Lastly, the terms state the service may allow Educational Institutions to review information in a user's profile (such as hometown, grade point average, and graduation year), whether or not users have chosen to restrict public access to some of that information.
EasyBib's policies do not disclose any reasonable security standards used to protect the confidentiality of a user's personal information such as whether a user's data is encrypted while in transit or while at rest.
EasyBib's terms state that the service is for a general-audience and is not intended for children younger than 13 years of age. The terms also state that if a user is a teen between the ages of 13 and 18, they must review the policies with their parent or guardian. However, the terms do not disclose notice to parents or teachers of any method in which to provide verifiable consent. EasyBib provides users with the ability to access, review, edit, delete, and export their data from the service. Lastly, the policies state the service is intended to be used by educational institutions such as schools and districts, but the polices do not disclose any additional student data privacy practices to protect student data.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Unclear whether the collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Sensitive data are collected.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Unclear whether parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data in transit.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data at rest.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Unclear whether this product deletes data when no longer necessary.
- Permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Unclear whether this product supports interactions between trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Unclear whether this product displays personal information publicly.
- Unclear whether this product allows users to control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are moderated.
- Social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- The vendor does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is not collected online.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Unclear whether vendor has actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
- Unclear whether this product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.