Privacy Evaluation for Edsby
Edsby is a cloud-based platform for K-12 schools that incorporates learning management, data aggregation and real-time analytics. Edsby's terms state they allow a user to place uploaded content in messages, profiles, private notes, calendar events, grade books, and postings in shared places that may be shared by other members of the service. Edsby's terms state they collect a user's personal information, user content that they upload to the service, and usage information on the service. In addition, Edsby's terms state they take appropriate security measures to protect a user’s information against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. Edsby's terms state they do not allow a student to create an account directly with the vendor and require students to obtain verifiable parental consent beforehand in compliance with FERPA.
Edsby's terms state they allow a user to place uploaded content in messages, profiles, private notes, calendar events, grade books, and postings in shared places that may be shared by other members of the service. In addition, the terms state metadata associated with user content can also be visible to members of the service and those who download the content. However, the service limits visibility of a user's information to the associated school, teacher, classroom, and students in the class.
Edsby's terms state they collect a user's personal information, user content that they upload to the service, and usage information on the service. The terms state they do not share or sell a user’s data with third parties for any advertising purposes and do not sell a user’s personal information or the user content that they provide. However, the terms state they may share aggregated or de-identified data that contains no personally identifiable information with third parties.
Edsby's terms state they take appropriate security measures to protect a user’s information against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction. The terms state they maintain appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information and data stored on the site. In addition, because the vendor delivers its service as a cloud service, collected data is commercially shared with third party cloud hosting companies and is designed with high levels of security and reliability.
Edsby's terms state they do not allow a student to create an account directly with the vendor and require students to obtain verifiable parental consent beforehand in compliance with FERPA. The terms state student accounts are only created under the direction of administrators and teachers at the student's educational organization. A student user is permitted to access a specific Edsby school community only if they have been specifically and directly invited and authorized to do so by the administrative staff and/or a teacher within that education organization. In addition, the terms state the service is designed so that only teachers at the student’s school, designated administrative staff, and the student’s parents have access to a student’s personal information.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Unclear whether this product collects behavioral data.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Unclear whether personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Unclear whether contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Unclear whether users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are not moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- Unclear whether this vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Unclear whether vendor has actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Unclear whether children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.