Privacy Evaluation for Edulastic
Edulastic provides teachers with formative assessment tools to track student data related to educational standards. The terms of Edulastic state they provide social interactions between students and teachers. Teachers can interact with students, but students cannot interact with other students.The terms of Edulastic state they collect personal and non-personal usage information automatically through use of the service such as a student’s name, a username (which may be an email address or student ID number), a password, the student’s school and/or district, and their class enrollments (grade, subject, class name, teacher). Edulastic's terms state they implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of users' personal information when they enter, submit, or access their personal information. Lastly, Edulastic's terms state they provide student, teacher, and administrator accounts and require students to provide a class code from their teacher before they can register for the Service.
The terms of Edulastic state they provide social interactions between students and teachers. Teachers can interact with students, but students cannot interact with other students. If a user shares a draft assessment with other users in order to collaborate with them, those users will have access to their assessment. In addition teachers will have access to information of students in their classroom. Edulastic's terms also specify they may display names of teachers who have created accounts to teachers who join the same school or district. The terms state student data may only be accessed by the student, their parent or guardian, and the student’s teachers or an administrator at the student’s school or district. Lastly, the terms specify that Edulastic cannot guarantee the identity of any users on the service, and that all content posted on the service is the sole responsibility of the person who posted it.
The terms of Edulastic state they collect personal and non-personal usage information automatically through use of the service such as a student’s name, a username (which may be an email address or student ID number), a password, the student’s school and/or district, and their class enrollments (grade, subject, class name, teacher). The terms specify the Service collects limited personal information from students under the age of 13, but only where that student’s school, district, or teacher has contracted with Edulastic to collect personal information from students for the use and benefit of the learning environment.
In addition, the terms state personal information will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or shared with third-parties for any marketing purposes. Edulastic's terms also state they do not allow any advertisements on the service, and do not track or target advertisements on Edulastic or other websites.
Edulastic's terms state they implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of users' personal information when they enter, submit, or access their personal information. Edulastic's terms specify that they protect login information and the transmission of data using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and encrypt information while at rest. In addition, the terms state they provide notification to users in the event of a data breach.
The terms of Edulastic state they provide student, teacher, and administrator accounts and require students to provide a class code from their teacher before they can register for the Service. Edulastic's terms state they require schools, districts, or teachers to obtain parental consent from a student's parents before they collect or disclose any personally identifiable information. The terms also state if the Service learns they have collected personal information from a student under 13 without parental consent, or if a student under 13 has provided personal information beyond what has been requested, they will delete that information as quickly as possible.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are not collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users can create or upload content.
- Unclear whether users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users cannot interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are not moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Not intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Unclear whether this product indicates COPPA parental consent exceptions.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.