Privacy Evaluation for edWeb
EdWeb.net is a professional social and learning network directed to teachers, faculty, administrators, and librarians at K-12 schools and post-secondary institutions. A user’s profile on the service is visible to other members of the service and registered communities, but a user’s survey information, ID, and email address are not displayed publicly. EdWeb provides its educational services free of charge supported by advertising, which use a user's educational institution characteristics combined with additional information from public and private sources on school demographics to enable advertisers and sponsors to offer more targeted products and services. Lastly, edWeb does not target its service to children under 13 years of age or knowingly collect personal information from children under 13, or from students at a K-12 educational institution.
EdWeb allows a user over 18 years of age to control which type of other members of the service can contact them and which member communities to join. A user’s profile on the service is visible to other members of the service and registered communities, but a user’s survey information, ID, and email address are not displayed publicly. In addition, edWeb recommends a user does not include any information in a personal profile that they do not wish to be shared with the entire member community.
EdWeb provides its educational services free of charge supported by advertising. EdWeb shares aggregated information of users with advertisers, and uses information collected from a user to display contextual information based on the pages a user visits. In addition, edWeb uses a user's educational institution characteristics combined with additional information from public and private sources on school demographics to enable advertisers and sponsors to offer more targeted products and services.
EdWeb displays traditional and behavioral advertisements to users, but they only provide education-related advertisements based on a user’s profile information which allows partner organizations to directly contact a user. However, EdWeb does not track a user across other Internet sites when they leave the vendor’s website.
EdWeb takes appropriate precautions to protect the personal information submitted to them during transmission and when stored at rest. The vendor uses secured and unsecured portions of the website depending on whether PII is collected and recommends the user should note whether the website shows a https or lock icon. However, dWeb does not specifically describe how it protects data, when data is encrypted or not, and does not provide notices to users in the event of a data breach.
EdWeb does not target its service to children under 13 years of age, or knowingly collect personal information from children under 13, or from students at a K-12 educational institution. An individual under 18 years of age is not eligible to become a member of the service which is directed to parents and teachers who wish to engage in a professional educational social network. However, students who are 18 years of age or older may use edWeb as part of a course taught by an educator. Students who are under 18 are allowed to watch edWeb webinars in classroom audiences, but only under the supervision of a teacher.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Unclear whether the collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Unclear whether the categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Unclear whether this product supports social or federated login.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- Unclear whether this product encrypts all data at rest.
- Notice is not provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Unclear whether users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Unclear whether this product provides processes to modify inaccurate data.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Unclear whether permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Unclear whether users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- Unclear whether the vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- Unclear whether user-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- The vendor does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Not intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is not collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Unclear whether vendor has actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Unclear whether children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Parental consent is limited with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is not deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Not intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are not collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is not primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Unclear whether the product creates education records.
- Unclear whether this product provides notification of a contract or additional rights.
- Unclear whether this product designates the vendor as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.