Privacy Evaluation for Explain Everything
Explain Everything is a screen casting app used with an interactive whiteboard. Explain Everything's terms state that users can publish content using the public setting, which means they can allow everyone, including members, and individuals not a member of the service, to access and use that content, and to associate it with a user's name and profile picture. The terms state Explain Everything will not use or disclose children’s personal or non-personal information collected through the service for marketing or behavioral advertisements and will not create any advertising profiles of users.
In addition, Explain Everything states in their terms they follow generally accepted industry standards and maintain reasonable safeguards to attempt to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of the information in their possession. Lastly, Explain Everything's terms state they collect limited personal information from students, but only where that student’s school, district, or teacher has contracted with Explain Everything to collect children’s personal information from students for the use and benefit of the learning environment. The terms also state that obtaining parental consent is the responsibility of the school or district.
Explain Everything's terms state their collaborative whiteboard application allows users to publish content using the public visible setting, which means they can allow everyone, including members, and individuals not a member of the service, to access and use that content, and to associate it with a user's name and profile picture. The terms state a user may choose to populate their user profile on the service with personal information, including their name, photograph, and school affiliation that is displayed to other users and is publicly available. In addition, the terms specify any images, presentations, captions or other content that a user submits, or creates on the service may be redistributed through the Internet and other media channels, and may be viewed by the public if permitted via the user's privacy settings.
Explain Everything's terms state they may use tools or third party analytical software to automatically collect non-personal information from its users. Explain Everything's terms state they will not rent, sell, exchange, or otherwise share a user's personal information with third parties. In addition, the terms specify they do not collect, maintain, use, or share student personal information beyond what is required for authorized educational school purposes, or as authorized by the parent or student. Explain Everything's terms state that the vendor may use and disclose a user's information to its third party partners and contractors for purposes of analyzing usage of its service, managing and providing its service, and to further develop services and products.
Explain Everything's terms say they may collect and use aggregate information about its users and may share aggregate data with third parties for various purposes. The terms specify they allow third-party analytics companies to combine the information collected from its users with other information they have independently collected from other services or products relating to their activities. In addition, the terms state they may link a user's non-personal information sent by the service or application to information that identifies a user personally. Lastly, the terms state they will not use or disclose children’s personal or non-personal information collected through an educational or school service for behavioral advertisements and will not create any advertising profiles of users.
Explain Everything's terms say they maintain reasonable safeguards to ensure the security, integrity, and privacy of the information in their possession. In addition, the terms say a user's data is encrypted while in transit and at rest, and Explain Everything will provide notice to users in the event of a data breach.
Explain Everything's terms state they collect limited personal information from students, but only where that student’s school, district, or teacher has contracted with Explain Everything to collect children’s personal information from students for the use and benefit of the learning environment. The terms require schools, districts, and teachers to obtain parental consent from students’ parents before collecting any children’s personal information. Explain Everything's terms state they do not knowingly contact or collect personal data from children under 13, and will never knowingly solicit or accept personally identifiable information or other content from a user or visitor who is known to be under 13 years of age. Moreover, Explain Everything's terms state they do not permit a minor under the age of 13 to create an account, or use the service without verifiable parental consent. However, users between 13 and 18 may use the service under an account established by their parent or legal guardian with their consent.
In addition, the terms state a user may add, modify, or remove their personal information at any time by logging into their account and accessing features to edit their profile and account information. However, when a user removes or deletes user submissions from the service, Explain Everything's terms state they may retain server copies of their user submissions that have been removed or deleted. In contrast, the terms state the service will not knowingly retain children’s personal information beyond the time period required to support the authorized educational school purposes, or as authorized by the parent or student.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Unclear whether this product collects geolocation data.
- Biometric or health data are not collected.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Combined information is treated as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- Use of information is limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Users can control their information through privacy settings.
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- Processes to delete user data are available.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- The vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Users cannot report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are not displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- The vendor does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- COPPA parental consent exceptions are not indicated.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Unclear whether this product provides parental consent notice and method for submission.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is not designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- FERPA parental consent exceptions are not indicated.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.