Privacy Evaluation for FreshGrade
FreshGrade empowers schools, school districts, teachers, parents, and students to be partners in the education journey. The terms of FreshGrade state parents can track the progress of their child’s learning and students are empowered to take greater ownership of their learning. FreshGrade's terms state they collect Personal Information from students authorized to use the service, such as information that can identify a specific individual, such as a name, address, telephone number, email address, or other information linked to that personal information. The terms specify that FreshGrade has implemented commercially reasonable administrative, physical, and technical safeguards designed to secure Personal Information, including student data, from unauthorized access, disclosure and use. Lastly, the terms of FreshGrade state they do not knowingly collect personal information through the FreshGrade service from a child under 13 until a school or parent has provided appropriate consent and authorization for a student under 13 to use the service and for FreshGrade to collect information.
The terms of FreshGrade state parents can track the progress of their child’s learning and students are empowered to take greater ownership of their learning. The terms specify that students can log-in and view their digital portfolio, self-reflect on their work and work collaboratively with their teachers and parents to achieve their learning goals, as well as capture moments through videos, pictures, audio clips and notes. The FreshGrade terms specify the service may allow users to use the FreshGrade service to host public forums or messaging boards for online discussion or message posting. These are public forums, and information that parents and teachers should be aware may be available to other members of the FreshGrade service or the public.
In addition, each student and his or her parent will only have access to view or submit information relative to that particular student. Neither students nor their parents will be able to view or otherwise access the personal information of other students, unless it is provided to that student account by the School (for example, a class photo and class roster containing the names and photos of other students may be added by a teacher to a student account).
The terms of FreshGrade state they collect Personal Information from students authorized to use the service, such as information that can identify a specific individual, such as a name, address, telephone number, email address, or other information linked to that personal information. In addition, FreshGrade's terms state they collect information only on behalf of the school. The terms also specify that FreshGrade considers student data to be highly confidential and uses this data solely to provide the services to the school. The terms also state FreshGrade may also collect school data which could include school name and location, what grade level and subject matter a teacher's teaches, position within the school, and the type of devices students use in the classroom. FreshGrade's terms specify they collect, store, process, and share student personal information only for the purposes of providing the service, or as authorized by a school or a parent.
The terms of FreshGrade state they do not sell, use, or share student personal information or content for marketing or advertising purposes. However, teachers and parents should be aware that FreshGrade's terms state they may advertise its services to school users and to parents, provided that such advertisements are not be based on student data relating to individually identifiable students. In addition, parents and teachers should be aware FreshGrade's terms state they may permit third party online advertising networks to collect information from visitors. However, although the terms of FreshGrade state they may permit third party advertising partners to collect information on the FreshGrade website for the purpose of sending targeted advertisements, they do not allow third party advertising networks to collect information about students or parents who are logged into the service, or to collect information from our mobile apps.
The terms of FreshGrade state users will need an account in order to use the FreshGrade service. In addition, only students who have been invited and authorized to use the service by a school may register as a student for a FreshGrade account and use the service. The terms also specify that FreshGrade has implemented commercially reasonable administrative, physical, and technical safeguards designed to secure Personal Information, including student data, from unauthorized access, disclosure and use.
The terms of FreshGrade state they do not knowingly collect personal information through the FreshGrade service from a child under 13 until a school or parent has provided appropriate consent and authorization for a student under 13 to use the service and for FreshGrade to collect information. In addition, the terms of FreshGrade specify that if users are not at least 18, they may use the FreshGrade service only with consent from their school or parent.
FreshGrade's terms state users may access, update, or correct their personal information at any time by logging into their account. A school principal, school or district/board administrator, or other individual authorized by the school to view and access student accounts, may be able to view and access all activity and content associated with the student accounts associated with the school or district. In addition, a school may access, update, and correct the personal information contained in any account under their control by logging into their account, and/or by logging into your school student information management system. However, a parent seeking to modify, correct, or delete personal information in a student account that is connected to an active class profile will be instructed to contact the school to discuss data deletion or modification.
Parents and Teachers should be aware the terms state that at the conclusion of each academic year, FreshGrade may suspend the ability to post new user content to any specific classroom. However, any student or parent will be permitted to review, request to delete or otherwise access the archived user content associated with that student or parent. The terms specify that when a FreshGrade portfolio is no longer in active use by a school, the portfolio will be archived. Archived portfolios are maintained to provide parents indefinite access to the student’s work, and parents and students can access such data at any time. FreshGrade's terms state they maintain this information only for the benefit of the parent and student. Lastly, FreshGrade's terms state as permitted by COPPA and FERPA schools providing the service to children under 13 represent that they have received consent from parents, or have the authority to provide consent on behalf of parents, for us to collect information from students before allowing children under 13 to access the services.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Unclear whether personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- Unclear whether a user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- User information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- The vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Unclear whether data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users can interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- User-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Social interactions of users are logged.
- Unclear whether users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Data are not collected by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Data are not used to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- The vendor can send marketing messages.
- The vendor does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Children's personal information is deleted if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- Unclear whether the vendor indicates FERPA parental consent exceptions.
- Unclear whether this product discloses directory information.