Privacy Evaluation for Prodigy
Prodigy is a student personalized math learning and assessment game for grades 1-8. The terms of Prodigy state they provide classroom social interactions between students and their associated teacher. Prodigy's terms state that the application automatically collects usage data to provide personalized assessment information about a student’s progress with the associated parent, teacher, or school. Prodigy's terms state that protecting user's information is extremely important. Lastly, Prodigy does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent, and a user must be 18 years or older to register for the Prodigy game service.
The terms of Prodigy state they provide classroom social interactions between students and their associated teacher. The student's fictional avatar name is used to display their avatar online to other players, while keeping their real name and identity hidden. In addition, Prodigy's terms state they take several precautions to ensure that any Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is only visible to an authorized parent and/or teacher and is not available to the public or other players within Prodigy's virtual world. Lastly, the terms state students are not able to disclose personal information such as their telephone number or address.
Prodigy's terms state the application automatically collects usage data to provide personalized assessment information about a student’s progress with the associated parent, teacher, or school. A parent or teacher may contact Prodigy to request changes to their personal information, or to request that it be deleted.
In addition, Prodigy terms state they will never sell or rent a user's information to anyone, including marketers or advertisers. The terms state Education Records or information collected from students are never used or disclosed for third party advertising, or any kind of first- or third-party behaviorally-targeted advertising to students or parents. However, Prodigy's terms state they may market or advertise directly to parents, so long as the marketing or advertising does not use Educational Records to provide any behaviorally targeted advertising.
Prodigy's terms state that protecting user's information is extremely important. In addition to annual staff training to ensure the security and confidentiality of student records, Prodigy's terms state they take several precautions to ensure that user information is secure. Prodigy's terms state they protect any information transferred through their service by encrypting it, while passwords and other sensitive information are never stored in plain text, and are instead protected via salted hashes.
The terms state in the event of a data security breach, Prodigy will alert any affected users electronically via their website or the email account users have provided depending on the magnitude and severity of the breach.
Prodigy's terms state that the service does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent, and a user must be 18 years or older to register for the Prodigy game service. In addition, Prodigy's terms state they provide parent, teacher, and student accounts that require a teacher supplied code in order to use the service. Prodigy's terms state they require a student's associated parent, teacher or school to obtain verifiable parental consent for all information collected, submitted, or posted of students through the service. Lastly, Prodigy's terms state that teachers, parents, and students have ability to review, correct, or update their student records under FERPA.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Behavioral data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Non-personally identifiable information is collected.
- Opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Unclear whether personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- The categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive personal information are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Data are shared with third-party service providers.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Social or federated login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Parental controls or managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether two-factor account protection is available.
- Unclear whether third-party contractual security protections are required.
- Industry best practices are used to protect data.
- Employee or physical access to user information is limited.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- All data at rest are encrypted.
- Notice is provided in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access and review user data are available.
- Processes to modify inaccurate data are available.
- Unclear whether the product provides a data-retention policy.
- Processes for the school, parents, or students to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Unclear whether this product deletes data when no longer necessary.
- Unclear whether permissions, roles, or access controls are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to download their data.
Is the data sold?
- Data are not sold or rented to third parties.
- Unclear whether users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information cannot be transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Third-party transfer is contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- User information is shared in an anonymous or deidentified format.
- The vendor describes their deidentification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying deidentified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users can interact with trusted users and/or students.
- Users cannot interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information is shared for social interactions.
- Personal information is not displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed.
- Unclear whether user-created content is reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor.
- User-created content is filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Users cannot report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Data are not shared for third-party advertising and/or marketing.
- Traditional or contextual advertisements are displayed.
- Behavioral or targeted advertising is not displayed.
- Unclear whether this product allows data collection by third-party advertising or tracking services.
- Unclear whether this product uses data to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are not created and used for data enhancement, and/or targeted advertisements.
- Unclear whether this vendor can send marketing messages.
- Unclear whether this vendor provides promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt-out of traditional, contextual, or behavioral advertising.
- Unclear whether this product provides users the ability to opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected online.
- Intended for parents or guardians.
- Vendor does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- Children's privacy is applicable.
- Parental consent is required.
- Unclear whether this product limits parental consent with respect to third parties.
- Unclear whether this product allows parents to withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Intended for students.
- Personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Intended for teachers.
- Product is primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Product does create education records.
- Notification of a contract or additional rights is provided.
- Vendor is designated as a school official.
- Parental consent obligations are transferred to the school or district.
- FERPA parental consent exceptions are indicated.
- Directory information is disclosed.