Privacy Evaluation for Quizlet
Quizlet is a website and app intended for helping users study any subject by providing users with flashcards and the ability to create flashcards. The terms of Quizlet state users can create quizzes and flashcard sets that can be viewed and completed by other people on the internet. The terms state that Quizlet does not sell personal information collected from children. However, the terms state Quizlet and third-party advertising partners may track and serve advertisements to users when they visit the service and may use information collected from users, or from devices associated with users, to provide more relevant ads. Quizlet's terms specify that their website and apps use encryption, and that data is protected by generally accepted industry standards.
The terms of Quizlet state users can create quizzes and flashcard sets that can be viewed and completed by other people on the Internet. Parents and teachers should be aware information about users' activities they perform on Quizlet may be displayed publicly, for example, information included on a user's profile, classes they have joined, high scores they have achieved, or sets they have studied may be visible to others. User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the vendor. Lastly, the terms state Quizlet gives users control over how their personal information is used, including what's made visible to the public, with the ability to control who can view and modify the content users have created on Quizlet and to remove information about previous study sessions.
The terms specify that Quizlet collects names, usernames, passwords, and email addresses from users over the age of 13. For users under the age of 13, the service collects a username, password, and a parent email to obtain consent. The terms state that Quizlet does not sell personal information collected from children. However, the terms state Quizlet and third-party advertising partners may track and serve advertisements to users when they visit the service and may use information collected from users, or from devices associated with users to provide more relevant ads. Some personal information is displayed publicly. Lastly, the terms specify that Quizlet will, upon request, provide additional information about how personal information is held or processed by Quizlet.
Quizlet's terms specify that their website and apps use encryption, and that data is protected by generally-accepted industry standards. The terms also specify that Quizlet uses third party payment processors to manage payments, and that connections to these processors are also encrypted. Quizlet's terms state that they also maintain reasonable security.
The terms of Quizlet state the service can be used by people of all ages. For users under the age of 13, the terms specify that Quizlet requires parental consent. In addition, the terms state that parents and legal guardians of children under 13 can consent to collection and use of a child's personal information without consenting to the disclosure of that information to third parties. The terms also state that parents can review information in the account of a child under the age of 13 by accessing the account or by contacting Quizlet. Within the application, users retain control over the content they have created and can access, modify, or delete personal information collected by Quizlet. Lastly, the terms state Quizlet is included in PRIVO’s Kids Privacy Assured COPPA Safe Harbor Certification Program.
What data does it collect?
- Personally identifiable information (PII) is collected.
- The categories of collected personally identifiable information are indicated.
- Collection or use of data is limited to product requirements.
- Geolocation data are not collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects biometric or health data.
- Interactions, behaviors, or usage analytics data are collected.
- Unclear whether this product collects sensitive data.
- Data is automatically collected.
- Unclear whether opt-in consent is requested from users at the time personal information is collected.
- Personal information of users is collected by a third party.
What data does it share?
- Collected information is shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether the categories of information shared with third parties are indicated.
- The purpose for sharing a user's personal information with third parties is indicated.
- The categories of third parties that receive data are indicated.
- Data are shared for analytics.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Third-party services are used to support the product.
- The roles of third-party service providers are indicated.
- Third-party login is supported.
- Contractual limits are placed on third-party data use.
How does it secure data?
- A user's identity is verified with additional personal information.
- Account creation is required.
- Managed accounts are available.
- Unclear whether multi-factor account protection is available.
- Third-parties with access to information are required to provide the same security protections as the company.
- Reasonable security practices are used to protect data.
- Unclear whether this product limits employee or physical access to user information.
- All data in transit are encrypted.
- Unclear whether all data are stored in an encrypted format.
- Unclear whether this product provides notice in the event of a data breach.
What rights do I have to the data?
- Users can create or upload content.
- Users retain ownership of their data.
- Processes to access or review user data are available.
- Processes to modify data are available for authorized users.
- A data-retention policy is available.
- Processes for authorized users to delete data are available.
- A user's data are deleted upon account cancellation or termination.
- Data are deleted when no longer necessary.
- Methods are available to restrict who has access to data.
- Processes to download user data are available.
Is the data sold?
- Unclear whether personal information is sold or rented to third parties.
- Users can opt out from the disclosure or sale of their data to a third party.
- User information can be transferred to a third party in the event of a merge, acquisition, or bankruptcy.
- Users are notified if their information is transferred to a third party.
- Unclear whether user information can be deleted prior to its transfer to a third party.
- Unclear whether third-party transfers are contractually required to use the same privacy practices.
- Unclear whether user information that is shared is shared in an anonymous or de-identified format.
- Unclear whether the company describes their de-identification process of user information.
- Data are shared for research and/or product improvement.
- Unclear whether contractual limits prohibit third parties from reidentifying or de-identified information.
How safe is this product?
- Users cannot interact with trusted users.
- Users cannot interact with untrusted users, including strangers and/or adults.
- Profile information must be shared for social interactions.
- Personal information can be displayed publicly.
- Users can control how their data are displayed to others.
- User-created content is not reviewed, screened, or monitored by the company.
- User-created content is not filtered for personal information before being made publicly visible.
- Unclear whether social interactions between users are moderated.
- Unclear whether social interactions of users are logged.
- Users can report abuse or cyberbullying.
Ads & Tracking
Are there advertisements or tracking?
- Personal information is shared for third-party marketing.
- Unclear whether this product displays traditional or contextual advertisements.
- Personalised advertising is displayed.
- Data are collected by third-parties for their own purposes.
- Unclear whether this product uses a user's information to track and target advertisements on other third-party websites or services.
- Data profiles are created and used for personalised advertisements.
- The company can send marketing messages.
- The company does provide promotional sweepstakes, contests, or surveys.
- Users can opt out of contextual, or personalised advertising.
- Users can opt out or unsubscribe from marketing communications.
Can I provide parental consent?
- Intended for children under 13.
- Personal information from children under 13 years of age is collected.
- Unclear whether intended for parents or guardians.
- Company does have actual knowledge that personal information from users under 13 years of age is collected.
- The company does provide a section, heading, or separate policy for children in their policies.
- Parental consent is required before personal information is collected or disclosed.
- Parental consent is limited with respect to third parties.
- Parents can withdraw consent for the further collection of their child's information.
- Unclear whether this product deletes children's personal information if collected without parental consent.
- Parental consent notice and method for submission are provided.
Is the product intended for school?
- Unclear whether intended for students.
- Unclear whether personal information or education records are collected from preK-12 students.
- Unclear whether intended for teachers.
- Product is not primarily used by, designed for, and marketed toward students in grades preK–12.
- Processes to enter education records into the product are not described.
- Unclear whether additional rights or protections may be provided with an additional school contract.
- Unclear whether the company is designated as a school official.
- Unclear whether this product transfers parental consent obligations to the school or district.
Can I control the use of my data?
- Users can control the use of their information through privacy settings.
- Use of information is not limited to the purpose for which it was collected.
- The context or purpose for which data are collected is indicated.
- Company may combine data with additional data from third-party sources.
- Unclear whether this product treats combined information as personally identifiable information (PII).
- Notice is provided if the context in which data are collected changes.
- Consent is not obtained if the practices in which data are collected change.
- A grievance or remedy mechanism is not available for users to file a complaint.
- Unclear whether users can request to know what personal information has been shared with third parties.
- Unclear whether notice is provided in the event the company receives a government or legal request for a user's information.